Overviews of my review pages
- 2020-11-10: Bicycle lighting: Guide to the reviews and analysis
If you are new to my pages and want to get a quick guide on what is important in lighting and dynamos, read this. Update 2021-4-7: Bicycle brands vs. torch brands (mainly for battery powered bicycle lights), Update 2021-5-25: Addition of the importance of awareness on how to judge beamshots and reviews and that beamshots are not enough to tell which light is the best.
Reviews and analysis of bicycle components
Analysis of bicycle lighting
Bicycle lighting analysis
The analysis needed to understand what is good, bad, and what is needed in bicycle lamps and dynamos along with all descriptions of experiments that I did, such as LED light colour, effectiveness of lamps in the mist, difference between what you see in reality and beamshots, analysis of lighting regulations such as the German StVZO, and much more. This is my personal interest, from which came later some of the work that I do but both are independent.
For companies: I can provide a translation in English + analysis, summaries, build suggestions, description of the approval procedure, also analysis of other standards used in/with TA, if interested email me here
- Bicycle lighting reviews
Headlamps, taillamps, dynamos and some oddities (non standard lights/generators)
Update 2021-7-6: Further experiences with the Spinup F12W pro, and more on the options to mount it (left/right hand side, front/back side of the fork).
- Leather saddles: Brooks, Lepper, Selle Amatomica
Reviews, analysis, experiments with cutouts.
- Mini pumps
Read here what pressure you can really achieve, not the fairy tale numbers that most manufacturers tell you which are only relevant if your name is Arnold Schwarzenegger!
Smaller scaler reviews
- Tests part 2: Less extensive tests: Bicycle bells, grips, gears, bike computers, water bottles, chain checkers, kickstands, pedals, tyre levers). New 2020-1-31: Suspension from fat tyres at low pressure, does it work?, 2021-2-21:Update on chains (using an 11 speed chain on a 9 speed system), and panniers (the MSX bags after more than 7 years, and a replacement to come.
This site (well, the bicycle review section), how I will update it
I will from 2020 on only review what I intend to use myself, so in particular I will not test most dynamo lighting that is new:
1. For dynamo lighting there is just about no progress in 10 years, there is barely any interest from manufacturers to make bike lamps 'great'.
2. There are other interesting things I could test and analyse related to bicycles but too few people are interested in proper reviews, they want 'entertainment' reviews.
The only way this could change is by getting paid for it in some way. But on youtube there seems very little interest in proper reviews, people want to read and see superficial rubbish, entertainment style reviews. Youtube definitely promotes superficial crap and clickbait to get money for themselves. All in all this makes me feel along with all the deplatforming (regardless of whether I agree or disagree with people, free speech is needed), it is probably better to quit my channel (WHS reviews) as well unless there come a lot more subscribers, comments, etc. to make it interesting/worthwhile despite the issues there.
If you are interested in making me change my mind, and to support my reviews, subscribe to my youtube channel (WHS reviews and comment there and/or donate via the paypal link below.
My other youtube channel used to have some bicycle content but since August 2018 is only about critical analysis of events/situations and the people responsible for them (some of those will be bicycle related). I will expand this channel as part of projects 2 and 3 below...
Other pages on my site that you may find interesting, and projects (that I've been working on instead of on bicycle stuff)
- My travel pages (to Germany, Ukraine, Poland, Hungary, Lithuania, Latvia) I apply the same principles of analysis here as with anything I do, i.e. question assumptions and find the real reasons why things happen. You may find these travel experiences interesting for this reason already...
[ A friend intends to translate some of these into Portugese, here: https://www.blogzap.com.br/ ]
- A critical look at reviews and human behaviour I explain why people behave as they do on forums, reading (and then responding to) reviews, etc. This is a prelude to my project to explain everything in life, in which I show how to understand anyone, and how to properly analyse. [ See further on this page for a longer summary ]
- The answers to life the universe and everything I look at certain questions in life in a different way from how it's normally done and so explain issues in society and I show how to understand anyone, and how to properly analyse. [ See further on this page for a longer summary ]
Life the universe and everything
The folowing 3 projects are related. Soon to be published. Based on experiences over many years, that I analysed and saw connections that explain just about everything:
1. I've been working on a project about the different thinking of men/women, humour, life the universe and everything (It's not 42! ;-)).
2. A project to counter manipulation. I became more and more annoyed with people manipulating others, and then I saw connections of structures in society and a certain type of people in business and politics, I explain what psychologists and sociologists don't understand, and I correct various of their views on how and why people behave in a certain way. You may have seen already on this site my analysis of issues that I encountered esp. on forums with certain type of people who manipulate others, and in this project I do a far more comprehensive analysis resulting in a list of things that need to change in society.
3. A project to explain the current state of western society with an analysis of the real problems, not the simplisitic view of some perceived problems such as 'cultural marxism' which just isn't all there is to it at all. The reason why this happened (and where/when lie the origins) is something nobody seems to properly understand. The real origins are 2-fold, one of these is an important way western societies work which was a requirement for this process to get a foothold in society. It got really bad in 2019, it was the year that insanity got normalised, but why did all this happen? Psychologists don't properly understand (as usual), but I can analyse it all by proper reasoning and proper understanding of the basis of society, and using my ability to emulate other people's thinking. As in book 2 I present the solution of what is needed to make this stupidity go away, and that is related to the requirements I present in that book.
4. I've worked with a friend a bit on his project of an easy to use and low cost package delivery solution using other carriers. See https://shippinglix.com
5. I'm working on other ideas and projects, I will tell more on this when the time is right.
Determining the truth and doing proper analysis is a big part of reviews
For this reason I made some pages dealing with what I ecountered in how people behave to manipulate others, or in how they simply write BS that wastes your time.
Countering bullshit on forums, newsgroups and from other websites
- A critical look at reviews and human behaviour I deal here with people who don't know what they are talking about but pretend to do and often really think they do (caused by no self-correction, this happens esp. with autists and anti-social people), bad reviews, bad moderators and people who act as authoritarian BS-artists, but also about misconceptions, i.e. things that people believe, want to believe, or just assume to be true. I further give a brief psychological analysis of what happens in discussions, on forums, and just about everywhere: You are likely being manipulated by others to have certain views, and I give some examples of that.
An important section related to doing proper reviews is the section Misconceptions: Do you ride faster with smaller wheels? Do you ride faster with a lighter bike? Does dynamo efficiency really influence your speed?
Countering misconceptions about these and other topics is a big part of the process of doing proper reviews! This section explains some misconceptions and explains what science is about (science is not measurements, science is analysis!).
- Commentary on interesting or inane stuff on the internet incl. youtube.
Support this website! [ for more critical reviews ]
If you are interested in making me change my mind and continue reviewing, then support my reviews: subscribe to my youtube review channel "WHS reviews" and comment there and/or donate via the paypal link below.
If you have other ideas/suggestions to continue, send me a message. One idea I had but it is likely not of that much general interest, is a series of videos on the StVZO rules, what is good and bad about them, how deviations from the rules are allowed etc. I could even publish my entire StVZO analysis if there are enough donations (but that would require a lot of donations as it would mean not being able to use that as a large part of the value of the service I provide to get companies to make compliant lighting/e-scooters).
In case there is interest in a subscription type service, to say, buy more bike lamps or more types of the latest dynamos, or even saddle types that could be interesting to try out, to compare with the leather saddles I tried out. If you want to support in this way, spread the word on this (send links to people who may be interested to my youtube channel or my website), and have a look here: https://www.subscribestar.com/whs-bike-reviews.
[ Note: I deleted patreon as it is part of the problem of removal of free speech by deplatforming people. The importance of free speech is related to finding the truth, as I will explain in my upcoming project soon. They also gave the terrorist organisation BLM a donation, which is an organisation similar to all complainers and whiners about western society: Trying to destroy society and its achievements and revising the truth to untruth. ESAD to BLM! ]
If there is enough support I could do e.g. a comparative review of all of Berthoud's leather saddles with the best of the Brooks saddles (esp. the B17 and Imperial, Team pro) and with bicycle lighting there are ways to go such as finally make full comparison videos with switching between lamps while riding to show the differences, and of course some more of the latest headlamps and pedelec lamps.
Contact/email about my reviews
All pictures and text made by me, except: 1. Some stock product photos, those with a pure white background (should be clear when you see them) which come from websites of manufacturers or distributors. 2. A few other types of pictures I got from a forum, manufacturer's website or from readers who sent some pictures, which I note in the text accompanying such pictures, along with a link to the original site where relevant.
If you want to use any of my stuff, for non commercial purposes, that is fine if you mention that you got it from my site... (and send me an email about it)
My test bike was stolen Thursday evening 9 Aug. 2018, in NL/Leimuiden. If you see it in NL let the police know and send me a message...
Maybe it's on the way to Poland, or some such destination, but in case it stays in NL, if you see it let the police know and send me a message...
Nederlands: Cannondale fiets, type Vintage, zwart, schijfremmen, Dit is mijn testfiets, opvallend door 2 verschillende pedalen voor testen, dito 2 verschillende handvatten, 3x9 versnellingen, bijna alles is zwart, zadelpen: Descendant, zadel: Brooks b17 imperial (uitsparing in het midden) zwart, linker handvat kurk, rechter handvat leer bruin, fietscomputer: O-synce, achterdrager vervangen: was Cannondale's eigen merk (maar die was gebroken), is nu Atranvelo, Stuureinden van Ergotec, ligstuur (alleen de arm-steunen) van Ergotec, koplamp: Herrmans H-one S (met plakband waarop V2 geschreven staat, dit is de versie met neutraal wit licht), achterlamp Spanninga Solo. Continental achterband, voorband is een Compass Barlow pass 38mm vouwband (door een lezer van mijn site gestuurd om te testen/vergelijken)
English: Cannondale bicycle, type Vintage, zwart, disc brakes. This is my test bike used the last 2 years for testing lighting and pedals and grips etc. And so it sticks out by having 2 different pedals for testing, ditto 2 different grips, left grip cork, right grip leather (brown), 3x9 gears, almost everything is black, seat post: Descendant (contrary to the pics), saddle: Brooks b17 Imperial (so with cutout in the middle) in black, bike computer: O-synce, rear rack: Atranvelo (I had to replace the original rack which was Cannondale's own brand, which broke), bar ends from Ergotec, aero bar (but only the arm rests mounted) from Ergotec, headlamps: Herrmans H-one S (with tape on which I wrote V2, this is the 2nd version of the H-one S with neutral white light), taillamp Spanninga Solo. Continental rear tyre 42-622, front tyre is a Compass Barlow pass 38mm folding tyre (sent to me for testing by a reader of my site)
Numbers on the frame: 57 1 086.128 (so: 571086128) / UN...571 (can't quite make it out)